The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has cancelled its European Continental Forum in Italy on Saturday (February 29) because of the coronavirus outbreak in the country.
The decision was taken, AIBA claimed, in the "best interests of the delegates".
The Forum in Assisi was due to be the third in a series of events held around the world following similar events for the Americas in Panama City and Oceania in Natadola in Fiji.
More than 400 cases have been reported in Italy so far, making it the country worst affected in Europe by the illness officially known as COVID-19.
"The coronavirus outbreak in Italy worsened and Italy has by far the highest number of coronavirus cases in Europe," AIBA Interim President Mohamed Moustahsane, a medical doctor by profession, said.
"Moreover, Italy has imposed strict quarantine restrictions in some regions which could last for weeks.
"Based on these sad circumstances, we are left with no option but to cancel the European Forum, which was scheduled to take place on February 29th in Assisi."
AIBA claim they hope to re-schedule the event for later in the year,
"I hope you and your families stay healthy and that the coronavirus will be eradicated soon," Moustahsane said.
"Your health is our priority and we will do this forum when the circumstances are better."
Venues and dates for the AIBA Continental Forums in Africa and Asia have yet to be announced.